Monday, December 12, 2011

"Do you know what dead is?"



That is what my 6 year old monkey asked me over breakfast this morning. Wow, the death talk... i wasnt expecting that to happen while i was making oatmeal.

but, ok. here goes...

I told him yes, i know what dead is and that it is when you go to sleep and dont ever wake up. I could tell by the look on his face that he the concept scared him a little. i asked him if he was ok and what was the matter? he told me that he didnt want me to be dead and then started to tear up (my sweet little precious boy!!!!).

Hugs time!!!! i held him so tight and told him that i wasnt going to die! that people dont die until they are very very old (no need to go into how unfair the world is for so many people). and that before any of us die we have to be grandpas and grandmas first (sorry grandpeople :). i told him he had a long way to go yet and that he first had to get married and have kids of his own and then become a grandpa before he even had to start thinking about being dead.

such a hard topic to try and explain to kids. but i think i did ok. he seemed ok with what i told him and was tear free by the time we were done.... PHEW!

2 comments:

The "J's" said...

I think you did a GREAT job Mom!!! Josh is very concerned about death too...breaks my heart.

kelsy said...

ugh, poor josh! these kids need to concentrate on being kids for crying out loud!!!